Happy New Year!
I know that the holiday season can be hectic for those of us in the nonprofit sector, so I hope that you were able to experience some joy and get some rest!
I know I have been out of touch for a while, and I’m sorry if some of you have felt let down by my absence. I’ve been thinking about you, but simply haven’t had the energy to write.
I’ve been going through a LOT since last spring – including a few deaths – and have undergone a massive transformation. It’s been a lot – and at times, incredibly challenging! – yet at the end of the day, I’m grateful for it all, and the person I’ve become as a result.
During this time, I’ve been doing a lot of reflecting. Reading. Listening. Observing. Thinking. Feeling. About the state of the world.
About the nonprofit sector. About the state of philanthropy.
About who I want to be. And what I want to do about it.
And here’s where I’ve landed: It’s time for a change!
I don’t have to tell you that COVID impacted those we serve in ways the general population can’t even imagine: disproportionate numbers of cases. Deaths. Long-haul COVID. Loss of work. Family members. Community. The struggle to get masks. Hand sanitizer. Testing. Food. And so much more!
COVID showed us where our systems are failing. Broken. Or don’t even exist!
Yes, charitable giving went up. Mutual aid increased.
Yet, here we are in 2023, and things don’t seem to be any better. In fact, I’d wager that for most of the clients we serve, things are WORSE.
I’m not here to be Debbie Downer. In fact, despite all the bad news we hear on a day-to-day basis, I’m more hopeful than ever that TOGETHER, we can make a huge difference – in our organizations, in our communities, and in the world, by fulfilling our missions at a whole new level!
Here’s what I know:
And so much more!
There’s lots of good happening out in the world – all we have to do is look for it! AND – we can create more of it!
We can do more good by increasing the resources we have at hand. And as you can see, there are plenty of resources out there, ready to be mobilized!
I’m here to help you do it!. Here’s what you can count on me for in the year ahead:
- 1I’ve launched the Philanthropy Revolution! Philanthropy means “love of mankind” and I’m here to show you how to tap into the many ways in which that love is – and can be – expressed! Stay tuned for more details on how the Revolution will unfold, and how you can join!
- 2On January 11, I’m launching The Philanthropy Revolution podcast! This bi-monthly, 30-minute show will feature guest speakers, current trends and data, rants about things that drive me bonkers (and what I think we should do about them!), inspiring stories about the impact my clients and other nonprofits are having, the ways in which philanthropy has changed the world and so much more! You’ll have the opportunity to ask questions during each livestream session, but we’ll also record and post it to all the major podcast platforms, and send out the link!
- 3On January 12, I’m hosting a webinar about the 5 biggest mistakes people make when it comes to grant writing and how to fix them! You’ll start getting emails about this soon!
- 4Later this month, I’ll be launching the Grant Writing Mastermind, a course designed to show you how to write winning proposals! To date, I’ve raised $90M. In an industry with a 50%+ rejection rate, more than 90% of my applications get funded, and we usually get the amount of grant funding we requested –and in several cases, even more!
- 5In March, I’ll be launching an online group coaching program, called the Fundamental 5. Why? Because you’ll get full access to my Fundamental 5 framework, which will show you how to improve your results in the areas of Individual Donors, Grant Writing, Board Development, Social Media/Communications and Planning! We’ll meet twice a month to answer all of your fundraising questions on the fly, as they emerge. AND – the membership will belong to your entire organization! This way, anyone – staff, board or volunteers – can strengthen their skill set and knowledge!
- 6One-day Intensives, held at various locations around the country. These day-long workshops will dive into the topic (appeals or grants) in the morning, then we’ll spend the afternoon crafting your appeal or drafting your grant. This way, you go back to the office with an actual product, instead of feeling overwhelmed or confused by the information you learned! If you want to host one in your area, let’s talk!
- 7Quarterly Pop-ups, which are one-time, free Q&A sessions focused on a particular topic.
- 8Reports, like the 2023 State of Fundraising, which is coming out later this month.
- 9Monthly blog posts, which will vary wildly in topic, depending on what’s going on in the world and my mood!
And much more! (If there are certain things you’d like to see, let me know!)
All this to say, I’m baaaack!
And I can’t wait to work with you to build a better world – for all of us!
With love and in service,
PS If you want to read the Manifesto for the Philanthropy Revolution, you can find it here: