Every day, we’re bombarded with information – emails, TV and radio ads, Gas Station TV.
Ads for items you looked at online appear in your Facebook feed.
More catalogues and circulars arrive in the mailbox.
And every other Insta Story is an ad for some thing or another!
It seems like no matter where you go, they find you!
Sometimes it throws me straight into overwhelm.
Well, it’s the same for our donors.
In this crazy, info-driven world, how do we stand out in the crowd so our important messages get to the people who can help?
Here are 5 tips for cutting through the noise to reach your donors (and perspective donors):
- Know Your Donor. In order to craft the right messages and plant them in the right location, you have to know who you’re trying to reach! Doing a Donor Data Dump and conducting a Donor Survey can help you identify your Ideal Donor Avatar!
- Use Persuasive Writing techniques to capture people’s attention and compel them to donate to your organization. Tapping your donor’s emotions helps leverage meaningful gifts! Don’t forget to include that Call To Action (CTA)!
- Be creative. Tell stories. Share photos. Create graphics and infographics. Have your clients take over your social media feed for the day (establishing rules ahead of time is crucial!). Post videos – interview clients, donors, volunteers. Showcase before/after photos (as appropriate) so people can witness the transformation you provide.
- Encourage people to like and share your page and posts! The people who are following you on social media care about your organization and those it serves. Asking them to like and share your page and posts is an easy way to expand your fan base!
- Don’t just rely on email and social media. Other ways to attract and grow your tribe include blog posts, OpEd/As I See It pieces in the local paper, appearing on local cable TV shows, media coverage(print, radio, TV), podcasts (many podcast hosts are looking for guests!), webinars, and anything else you can dream up (ask your donors what kind of material they want to see/receive)!
Ready to learn more about how to cut through the noise and connect effectively with your donors? Join me on May 8th from 9:30 – 12:30 EST for my new workshop: Individual Donor Work During COVID-19: Crafting an Effective Approach! In this 3-hour workshop, you’ll learn how to engage donors in an effective and meaningful way, and invite new donors to join the cause.
Even if you can’t attend in person, go ahead and register – we’ll be sending out a recording! To learn more and register, click here.